So You're Moving to Google Apps...
We are pleased to announce that the Greater Baltimore Urban League has chosen Google Apps for its new email and calendar platform. Our IT team has been working on the migration and is looking forward to moving the team from the current email platform to the new services.. We began with a group of selected pilot users and "early adopters" and will now phasing in the services with the remain GBUL team.
We think you'll enjoy your new Google Apps services, and we're committed to making this a smooth transition.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s Google Apps?
Google Apps is a suite of web-based messaging and collaboration applications that Google hosts on their own servers. Google provides these applications as a "service," rather than as software to download and install. To access these applications, you simply use a web browser on a computer that's connected to the Internet.
Why did you choose Google Apps?
We looked for an email and calendar solution that could provide with us the following benefits:
- Lower infrastructure costs -- All your email will be stored securely on Google's servers, so we'll no longer need to maintain email servers
- Ability to consolidate our platforms -- We can eliminate redundancy by moving all of our email and calendar platforms to Google Apps
- Innovative solutions -- We can leverage the ongoing creative and technical solutions of the Google Apps platform to provide employees with powerful, easy-to-use tools for getting their work done
- Highly scalable environment -- With Google Apps, our email capacity will grow automatically as our organization grows, and we'll avoid the complexity of internal systems
- Access to services from anywhere, anytime -- A key benefit of the Google-hosted solution is that we can access email, contacts, and calendar from any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection, anywhere in the world
- More collaboration features -- With Google's next-generation applications, we can collaborate with colleagues, customers, and partners more easily and efficiently than ever before.
Here are some of the key benefits we think you'll enjoy:
- Lots of storage -- You get a full 30 GB of online storage for your email (much more than what we currently have), so you can archive all of your email online. You'll no longer need to worry about deleting messages or saving them in offline folders.
- Enhanced message organization and retrieval -- With Gmail, you'll spend less time managing folders and looking for messages. For example, you can add one or more tags, or "labels," to your messages to organize and store them more efficiently. And with the Google-powered search feature, you can find any message quickly and easily, whether it's in your Inbox or stored in your message archive.
- Easier calendar sharing -- Google Calendar lets you and your team members quickly and easily share your calendars with each other and specify the details you want to show. Calendar sharing is a great way for you and your coworkers to keep each other informed about your schedules. Now it's easier than ever to find out if someone is in a meeting, on a business trip, or on vacation.
- Better mailing lists -- With Google Groups, you can manage your own subscriptions to mailing lists -- called groups -- without the need to make requests. You can even create your own groups for your projects, teams, special-interest groups, and more. Not only do groups make it easier to send email and calendar invitations to groups of people but they also simplify access management for your shared Google documents, sites, videos, and calendars!
I already use Google Apps' Gmail for my personal email and calendar. Are we getting the same applications?
They are similar, but we'll be using the education-class edition of Google Apps, which provides more features, more support, and an "up-time" guarantee.
Are you migrating my email and calendar to Google Apps?
Yes, we'll attempt to migrate all of your email messages, calendar events, and personal contacts to Google Apps during non-business hours, so they'll be ready for you when you log in to your new Google Apps account. Messages will remain on your old email platform for 30 days.
Do I need to do anything after I get my Google Apps account?
You'll just need to complete a few simple tasks to complete your migration, such as recreating any email rules you used or re-setting up email on your mobile device.
Will you provide assistance during the transition?
The IT team will also be available to answer your questions or resolve any issues you encounter at email@example.com.
Will my email address change?
No, you will have the same email address! Any emails that arrive addressed to you will go to your new Gmail account. Messages will remain on the old email platform for 30 days. However, the link you use to login to your email will change. We'll get that new email login information to you.
How much time will it take to set up and learn how to use Google Apps?
You'll be able to master the basics -- sending and receiving email and viewing and scheduling meetings -- very quickly. If you also access email on a mobile device, plan on spending a bit more time to set it up.
Is there anything I need to do to help my transition?
Over the next few days, do some general housekeeping with your current emails, folders and contacts. Delete what you no longer need. All of your mail will be migrated, however, why migrate information that you no longer need. Use this as a time to start fresh and get rid of some of those old emails or contacts you no longer need.
I hear Google Docs are also going to be available?
Google Docs will be available as well as other Google applications.