State’s Attorney Calls for Indictment Charges in Freddie Gray Case
Baltimore, MD: Today the indictment of the 6 officers involved in the death of Freddie Gray has been a step into the right direction for not only Baltimore City but the nation as a whole. The Greater Baltimore Urban League would like to applaud State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby for her diligence in the investigation of the death of Freddie Gray. While there are no guarantees on outcome, we are confident that the State’s Attorney will continue to be impartial in this matter and seek justice for those who deserve it.
The Urban League is committed to eliminating disparities among people in less privileged communities and we find that the issue of depraved police relations is more common in these communities. We seek justice for these communities and all communities in general by echoing our Ten Point Plan for Police Reform and Accountability, a slate of policy reforms to ensure there are no more Freddie Grays in the future. These reforms include:
1. Widespread Use of Body Cameras and Dashboard Cameras.
2. Broken Windows Reform and Implementation of 21st Century Community Policing Model.
3. Review and Revision of Police Use of Deadly Force Policies.
4. Comprehensive Retraining of All Police Officers.
5. Comprehensive Review and Strengthening of Police Hiring Standards.
6. Appointment of Special Prosecutors to Investigate Police Misconduct.
7. Mandatory, Uniform FBI Reporting and Audit of Lethal Force Incidents Involving All Law Enforcement.
8. Creation and Audit of National Database of Citizen Complaints against Police.
9. Revision of National Police Accreditation System for Mandatory Use by Law Enforcement To Be Eligible for Federal Funds.
10. National Comprehensive Anti-Racial Profiling Law